Sunday, May 13, 2007

New Dishes!

Mother's Day has just passed. Now we can all breathe a little. Abode has picked up a lot since my last post and it's been very busy. New menu items in both savory and dessert has certainly kept everyone busy. The best part of new items meant we get to try it as well. yummy!

I love how most of the dishes are fish instead of meat. Barramundi, Halibut and Black cod. Arctic Char is served at lunch and Brunch. I love seafood and I love to eat fish. The barramundi is one of the best fish dish to eat. For a fish, it's very meaty and it is prepared so well.

The halibut is great. Crusted in crispy Prosciutto and served with white asparagus. My favorite still is the black cod. It just melts in your mouth and the sea urchin carrot foam sauce is just so perfect with the fish.

I admire my chef's creativity and the plates are always beautiful. The cuisine isn't something you see everyday and each dish is made with so much detail. I'm so impressed by the flavors them.

With Desserts we have 3 new dishes. Pain Perdu is like french toast served with strawberry syrup and thyme praline with a side of Lemon Gelato. Coconut soup with lemongrass panna cotta, banana cake croutons, passionfruit syrup, shiso ice cream and cilantro caviar. Chocolate Ginger cake with chickpea cream and fennel ice cream.

My friends who ate there said it's been one of their best meals in LA. They all mention that it's been so long since they had such an amazing meal. I know for a fact they haven't stop talking about it for about 2 weeks now! Every chance they get, they describe to their other friends the meal at Abode. When they introduce me to their friends, I get the introduction of, "she the one that works at Abode, you know, the restaurant I told u about...the one where we should all go. You have to try it." Of course, they also say the dessert is mind blowing!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, lemon grass panna cotta and shiso ice cream...thats just mind blowing. Maybe asian food are so entrenched in me that i just cant get that sort mix in my head. Are these desert included to sort of stimulate the taste bud or its there because its just different (because i just ran straight to the fridge and just rub lemon grass all over my hand, smelt it and i just cant imagine it to be in any sweet desert, let alone a crazy concoction with vanilla). I had Shisho ice cream, but then again it just felt like a taboo/lack of honesty in the flavour. Are people who dine at Abode really wanted to to be confronted with these flavour ? did they happily pay because food are different and new and they just wanted a little change from the conventional offering at other restaurants?

After saying that, i think i'll go make some lemon grass panna cotta just to make sure that i get it out of my system.

Kat said...

Well, Abode is a place where we try to push the envelope a bit. It's an intersting journey on the palate. Abode is a restaurant where we don't just feed you but try to make it an amazing dining experience.

I love lemongrass and one of my fav ice cream is honey lemongrass ice cream. The combinations work well and the taste are there to compliment each other. When flavors are paired well, it's quite an experience like no other.

Anonymous said...

Well, lemon grass panna cotta didnt came out as i expected it. My little niece liked it though - licked clean. Guess the vietnamese flavour hasnt been entrenched in her yet.

So back to Abode - how often do you change your menus or it follows a cyclical order over the year ? How do you go about decide on a new dessert - read alot of ingredient books when you get the time or just get inspirationn eating at different place?

Kat said...

Congrats on trying out the dessert! Kudos to your niece for enjoying it!

I do have an immense amount of cookbooks and I'm always buying more. As I got more and more serious about my work the books I want are more professional hence more expensive. The ones I'm dying to buy are in the price range of $150-$200 each.

I like to take one focus point and work around it. For instance, let say u want to use Mangoes in a dessert. I'll use it as my focus point and then try to come up with the best pairing to bring out the flavor of the fruit.