Thursday, April 26, 2007

What Abode is Really About

I know I've only really talked about what's going on with the restaurant and the food and I think I touched on the subject of what concept our restaurant is but didn't really go into it. I think I finally have a little time to explain.

I think with so many restaurants and so many new "trends" or "concepts" people are not really sure what they really mean. The first time I mentioned organic to my friends, they had initially thought it meant vegetarian. They think of bland vegetarian dishes. But Organic is describing how the produce is grown. The reason why it is so expensive is because the growers have so many regulations to follow and many years of investment to get that federal organic stamp. Most products are now described as "sustainable".

Nowadays another way of being green is being responsible. We are a restaurant that strives to be responsible. We are not a miracle worker that can save the world but we are one of many restaurants that is trying our hardest to be responsible to our community and to the environment. I want to be correct on my definition of Sustainability so I got it from Answers.com : "Sustainability is an attempt to provide the best outcomes for the human and natural environments both now and into the indefinite future."

From what I know, we buy our produce from the farmer's market in Santa Monica. Our suppliers for Meat and Fish and Produce are all companies that is known for being sustainable. We donate our used oil for old diesel cars that have been converted to burn oil. During the restaurant's renovation the owners didn't want to waste any of the materials. They used left over wood to make a motif on the wall. That's the kind of restaurant we are.

I am so proud to be part of something like Abode. It is hard to make people aware of what's going on in the world. I'm glad that we are a group of people who is trying to do our part to help.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

its been a while...you have not given up on this blog ? working in the gulley have driven you to insanity? or has adobe really got up and running full blast that you come home exhalsted everyday, too tired to be writing anything.

keep on writing.

Kat said...

haa haa...you guessed right. I've been completely exhausted. Prepping for Mother's Day and working 7 days straight before a day off has taken a toll. However, still love creating edible art!