Friday, April 13, 2007

Excitement

We are scheduled to open to the public on Wed. We were busy today prepping for the opening. It's a big deal because there are reservations already and I think some are for big name celebrities. It's all very exciting.

Eliot and I have gone thru the updated menu and we were trying to prep all the things that needs time to do. I think people forget how much sugar and eggs dessert needs because we ran out of eggs only after a few items. There were a lot of ingredients that hadn't been delivered so we weren't able to make everything we wanted to. I really really wanted to make at all the desserts from the menu but I guess we'll do our trial runs on Monday and Tuesday. So far we've touched on different components from each dish. I want to make sure we got everything perfect and that everything we make taste the way it should. If it can be better, I would love to figure out what needs to be tweaked.

This past Wednesday was a little hectic. We did a lunch tasting menu for a website review and at night we did another tasting menu for Dr.90210. The E! TV crew came in to film us again. It was great, they microphoned Chef and it was great to see her work as they filmed. What was funny to us was that the kitchen was calm as they filmed. They wanted some craziness but I think people just presume all kitchens to be like Top Chef or Hell's Kitchen or Iron Chef...people running around frantic to get everything done. We are a prepared kitchen. I know once we are open to the public, it might get a little crazy but I'm sure with our team, we will be as prepared as we can be.

Since I work pastry and dessert is always the last course, I have had time to watch my co-workers do their magic. I've enjoyed watching them work. I see the passion and dedication with each of them. I've come to admire all my colleagues. Where else can you a group of people who loves their job so much that they are happy to go to work everyday? I look forward to going to work like people who look forward to the weekends. I believe that in this profession, those who truly excel are those who live and breathe culinary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good luck with opening - reading with anticipation.