Monday, April 16, 2007

Stressed = Desserts

Today was a tough day for me, personally. I was sick the first couple of hours at work...it took 3 painkillers before I felt better. I wasn't sick with the flu kinda sick but just in pain. I usually hate taking painkillers too but I was feeling weak and sluggish. I'll be better tomorrow.

Then of course there are the worries and stress. I knew my mom was going into surgery and I waited most of the night/morning for my sister to call with an update. I guess the operation was longer then I expected because I didn't get any call before I went to work. Thru out work I had that in the back of my mind but I was so busy that I even forgot to eat! After work I finally was able to check my voicemail. My sister just said to call back since mom was awake. That's good news. Now I can breathe easier.

Our station was very busy trying to get things done since most of the ingredients arrived today but some were delivered too late to finish certain items. I'm sure we'll finish everything tomorrow before the opening day on Wednesday. I was very stressed about getting things done. I think I wasn't confident enough to just do it so I wanted to ask both Chefs for advice before actually making anything. Especially since we hadn't made any of these desserts before. Some instructions were misinterpreted and we messed up on a few things. I feel so bad about it. I'm going in earlier tomorrow to correct those mistakes. I feel disappointed with myself. I know, it's the first day but I've always pushed myself to do things perfectly and when it doesn't happen I feel awful.

I saw some plating from other stations and everything looked great. I think everyone is doing a good job. I know a few are a little stressed out and nervous. It's all so new...where things are, how we all work together, how things go together, how everything is plated, how everything is suppose to look and taste. It's all very exciting but stressful as well. I know everyone is nervous about the opening day but I believe we are glad it's finally here. Once we get into the grove of things, it will just flow.

No comments: